Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Slow-Cookers are from Heaven

At the end of 2011, I was gifted during the holiday season one of the most fantastic kitchen appliances I would have never expected to love so much.


A stainless steel Slow-Cooker named Crock-Pot®.

This 6-Quart beauty has become an absolute necessity for this winter thus far. This particular model can feed from 7-8 people when completely filled and allows you to cook worry free with the digital timer. Another neat feature about this wonderful machine is that the oval stoneware is removable, easily washable, and functions as it's own Tupperware for easy clean-up.


Why should I have this?

My daughter is 2 and a half, and has more energy than most people can keep up with. Between entertaining her, cleaning the house, freelancing, school, and the day job; there is nothing more satisfying than knowing that dinner is being made without you all in three simple steps.

"Prep it, Place it, and Leave it."


What do I make?

ANYTHING.

Not quite anything, but really, almost.

Baked Potatoes, Apple Sage Sausage, Minestrone, Sweet Potato Soup, Chili, Jambalaya, Risoto; A never ending list. My favorite dish to "cook" lately has been anything of the soup variety, my winter pal. Really anything with dried ingredients has been the inspiration of my soups; of which I would have never considered until I read this book: The Vegan Slow Cooker.

"one 15-ounce (420 g) can of beans costs three to six times as much as a single 1-poud (455 g) bag of dried beans. Cooking the 1 pound (454 g) of beans yields the amount of cooked beans you'd get in three or four cans!"

This quote alone instantly had me sold.

The book continues to share similar money saving tips alongside recipes that are absolutely delicious (and nutritious).




No comments:

Post a Comment